Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Your Love is my Drug

Tonight for our debrief we decided to keep things short because we are all exhausted. Instead of talking about the day, our reactions, and emotions, we instead gave the person on our left a compliment of some kind. As a result of our effort to save time, we ended up having one of the best team moments on the trip. It was awesome to hear the genuine compliments being given. Just before the activity Ben had talked about the possibility of nerves running low at this time of the trip. I feel like no qualm stood a chance against the power of that moment.

So far, this trip has really impacted, challenged, and changed me. However, I have been having a hard time figuring out exactly how I have been impacted and what has changed. I still only have a few answers. Yet I think I have figured something out. When thinking about my future as a physician serving the poor, I have really been focusing on the medicine. I didn't think that there was too much more too it. This trip has shown me the power and joy in building relationships. I have developed relationships with kids who I can't speak with directly in just 5 days. My largest fustration on this trip has been the language barrier. I find myself yearning to go deeper with these people and learn more about their struggles and their joys. I think that a lot of people need love more than they need ibuprofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment