Sunday, June 27, 2010

Jesus is Calling...wash your hands and take a seat

Jesus has been calling - literally - but maybe not in ways we expected. Jesus is the name of the man who prepares our meals each day when we are in La Merced. Initially, when asked by a Food For the Hungry translator what to do when Jesus called, I replied, "...Listen???" The question caught me off guard, but I soon realized (as the translator walked away) that he was telling me it was time to eat. I soon followed.

We have all been taking the unexpected well. Erin (my wife) and I changed an activity that used salt and baking soda to make a simple tooth powder to exclude the baking soda because it is largely inaccessible to the community. The entire team created Sunday school lessons late last night when the the church asked us if we could teach. We are rearranging our plans and schedules to fit into the amount of time we have left. Regardless, we are doing well, and our plans, even when adapted, have gone well.

I wish the unexpected was always handled as well everywhere else as it's been handled here. I think we can all imagine enough examples from our own lives of how we handle wrinkles in our plans, whether our fault or not...And as I think about this more, maybe we have been more able to adapt because we already understood that all would not go as we planned; we have been more apt to accept that there is a bigger picture in the making than our own.

The time here is halfway through, but hopefully we are able to take our ability to handle the unexpected a little better, with faith that there is a greater plan unfolding.

And remember, when Jesus calls, use all of your senses...

No comments:

Post a Comment