Friday, June 25, 2010

Today we finally made it to La Merced after an orientation at the Food for the Hungry (FH) headquarters in Pucullpa. The orientation prior was extremely valuable for us, particularly me as it is my first time here. It provided an overview of the community and the progress that has been made over the 10 years of their presence. There is now electricity, water pipes available for each family's use, and programs for leadership development.

After about 45 minutes of driving on a paved road, we turned onto a dirt road heading into the jungle with palm groves present on both sides of it. We arrived in the community greeted with a very warm welcome from the children at the school that included songs, poetry, and introductions. The excitement of the children was present on their faces and also with the warm hugs they gave to returning team members. I soon felt welcomed as we walked from the school to lunch. I quickly found two girls holding my hands and me trying to remember my Spanish in order to learn more about them.

After lunch our team divided into smaller groups to visit the homes of children that members of Black Hawk sponsor. It was more difficult than I expected it to be. Not necessarily because of the awkward silences that I had already prepared myself for, but rather hearing families express their sadness with this being the last visit of Black Hawk now that FH is planning to leave La Merced later this year. Many of the children had met their sponsors during past trips and looked forward to their letters or future visits.

I am not sure what the future will hold for the community or what this week will mean to me, but I am glad that I am here right now and ready to embrace whatever comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment