Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections

As I sort through my feelings after returning home I am pulled in many directions. I'm excited about all of the changes that have taken place through Blackhawk's sponsorship, the construction of several community buildings, the digging of a well, and most recently, electricity and access to water in the homes. Even more important are the personal changes in the community members, such as learning life skills like providing a source of income, banking and saving money, cooking, leadership training, etc. Best of all is that the community members are now taking ownership of the community and working together on goals for the continued growth of La Merced. The church has begun outreach projects to help those in need... they have become the hands and feet of Christ.

That all sounds great, doesn't it? And it is. Their lives have become much easier now, but have we taken something away from them in the process? Will they get modernized to the point of impacting their relationships? Will they become materialistic and with that never be satisfied with what they have? (like us) We wanted to leave the community with the message to trust God to continue to give them what they need after Blackhawk is gone, just like He did when we were there. We need to follow our own advice to pray and trust that God will lead them in using all of these things for good and the advancement of his kingdom. In that sense our work there is not finished.

My perspective on life and my priorities have been changed forever. I don't know why God has chosen to bless me in the way He has, but I cherish every blessing. I am forever grateful to all of the loving people I met in La Merced. I pray that they know that they have blessed me far more than I have blessed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment